The Stigma around Mental Health

HI!

The reason there has been a sever lack of posts on my blog and videos on my YouTube channel is that I've been quite ill. And not the physical kind. I've been suffering mentally for a long time with my anxiety but it got a lot worse recently. I'm not going to get into that at this stage as I'm still waiting on a diagnosis and I'd like to keep it private for now. But once I've come to terms with it and I'm hopefully recovering and managing to keep myself afloat in day to day activities I will write a blog post explaining it all. I feel the more people talk about it, and the more people come out saying they have a mental illness will combat the stigma surrounding it. Lots of people don't seek help because they're ashamed, and I'd like that to stop.

This blog post consists of an essay I wrote for my English GCSE (for which I received full marks on, GO ME!). I'd like to start by making people more aware of the everyday criticism and stigma that comes with living with a mental illness. I'm going to leave links to some organisations that can help at the bottom of the post, if anyone knows of any others I might have missed please comment them below. I'd also like to warn you this essay is quite a rant, but you should be used to my fiery writing by now!

Would you feel comfortable going through life being victimized for something you cannot control? For some of us, that’s a reality. An astonishing 25% of the population will experience some kind of mental health problem during the course of a year; with anxiety and depression being the most commonly reported disorders in Britain. That’s 25% of our population, exposed to the selfish hand of bullying.

Mental health disorders can affect anyone, regardless of age, gender or race. You cannot choose what disorder affects you, or when it rears its ugly head. So if it does, the last thing you need is an uneducated ‘know-it all’ taking it upon themselves to use your illness against you; to bully you into thinking you are something that deserves daily emotional turmoil, on top of dealing with your mental disorder. Believe it or not, hundreds of people up and down the British Isles deal with this on a daily basis, myself included. And this needs to stop.

Personally, I believe that the root of the discrimination comes from society. Society has stereotyped views about mental illness and how it affects people. People with mental ill health are thought to be violent and dangerous, when in fact they are more at risk of being attacked or harming themselves than harming others. Stigma can also worsen someone’s mental health problems, and impede them from getting treatment, and consequently lengthen their recovery. Social isolation, poor housing, unemployment and poverty are all linked to mental ill health. They can be trapped cycle of illness.

In some cases, people often do try to sympathise with you, exclaiming that:
"That’s totally normal!"
"I know EXACTLY what you mean!"

However these people do not really understand the damage of invalidating the internal experiences of a person with a mental health problem. If you have been brave enough to confide in someone, you do no want him or her to behave as though it’s an average thing. When someone breaks a leg, no one dare says ‘stop being so pathetic, you’ve only broken a vital bone’. So why is it if someone cannot leave the house because of their illness, its deemed ‘pitiful’ or ‘an excuse to be lazy’?

The Mail Online posted an article on the 6th January this year, explaining how criminal activities could be the first sign of dementia, which is a prime example of how the media views the mentally ill population. On the other hand, before that article was released, they published an article stating, “Mental illness does not drive people to commit crimes” therefore contradicting themselves entirely; this proves that the media exacerbates the situation, and has no factual understanding of the subject they are commenting on.


News reports often link mental illness with violence, or portray people with mental health problems as dangerous, criminal, or very disabled and unable to live normal, fulfilled lives.

This is far from the case.

According to the Mental Health Foundation, people who develop mental illnesses are generally people who are naturally quieter, and have a more reserved place in society, making them incapable of being ‘violent’ towards others, or ‘out of control’.

With the appropriate treatment, you can in fact overcome the illness that supposedly holds you back. Take Michael Ellsberg (a 37 year old journalist from America), he suffers with Bipolar II, and could barley get out of bed in the morning. “One morning, I simply could not get out of bed.” But following simple research, the right doctor and the appropriate help, he managed to get over his depressive stage and get a hold of his life. Ellsberg is now a successful writer and is happily married, proving that mental illness does not stop anyone from having a joyous life.

If you believe you are suffering with a mental illness and need support, or you are facing discrimination, there are several places you can go for advice on how cope with this. The Mental Health Foundation is extremely helpful on all topics, from discrimination to symptoms of a range of disorders. And your GP is always a good starting point.

A survey of more than 350 Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) and 100 specialist CAB mental health projects across the UK, found that people experiencing mental ill health were treated unsympathetically by doctors assessing their claims for incapacity benefit. The survey also noted that only 18% of those with mental health problems are in work, this is the lowest employment rate of all disabled groups. Again, strengthening the proof that discrimination is happening, and has a daily impact on people’s lives.

If the damage isn’t physical, why is it not acknowledged?

Ableism, is real, and is affecting a substantial amount of the population. It’s time we started taking discrimination against mental illness seriously.




Comments

Popular Posts